Friday, July 21, 2006

Political Activism: Take One

Until this month, I had never called, written or emailed any of my Congressional representatives. I bitched and moaned with the best of 'em, but it was always just talk. When the "net neutrality" act (H.R. 5252, the Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act of 2006) came up, I could stay silent no longer.

I called Congressman Van Hollen, Senator Mikulski and Senator Sarbanes - the whole lot. Managed to get good information from Van Hollen's office, along with an email, and had a nice chat with staff at both Senators' offices. But the coup de gras came today. Sandwiched between the latest Pottery barn catalog and a custom-made card from strangers in North Carolina (more on this another time) was a letter from Senator Paul Sarbanes. I feel like a political groupie.

But more than anything, it reminded me that lawmakers listen to their constituents. We elect them, they represent us and our interests, and they want to know what we think. Do something. Find something you feel passionate about and make it happen. Join MoveOn.org. Sign up with Democracy for America. Find like-minded in your community and start affecting change on a local level.

And what am I doing? The good doctor and I have signed up for a local MoveOn.org gathering in our neighborhood July 31. It's about damn time.

We took the first step. Now it's your turn. Stop complaining and get involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home